I’m the friend that everyone else goes to with their problems. I get asked, “How are you so happy?” a lot. I’m going to tell you how. Here is how to be happy.
- Happiness is a mind set. Just like everything else in life, it’s a choice. You CHOOSE it. I’m not kidding. It’s that simple, but obviously there are many complications to sort through before you see it that way.
- STOP CARING WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK. This is a BIG one. It’s so much bigger than people realize. I used to spend so much of my time focusing on what other people thought about me. It led me to walk on eggshells and to make choices about things that I hated. Once, I literally changed my entire outfit because my aunt was coming over and I knew she would hate it. I knew she would comment on it. And it wasn’t a horrible outfit. I just knew it wasn’t something she’d like. That’s INSANE. If someone isn’t personally contributing to your life, FUCK THEM. I mean it. Fuck them. Their opinion of you is irrelevant. And trust me, you’re not going to stop someone’s opinion of you. People come from stubborn stock. If they think something of you, let them. Just stop caring. It doesn’t affect you as much as you feel like it does, I promise.
- LET GO OF NEGATIVE PEOPLE. I mean it. Get rid of them. I know that people aren’t disposable, and it’s not always the answer to just get rid of them. But I’m pretty sure 95% of the time, it is the answer. I’ve been there. I’ve called some of the most negative people my best friend. It’s toxic and it’s keeping you down. Misery loves company. Get some new people. If they’re family, it’s a little bit trickier, but I can tell you it’s super logical. Just distance yourself a little bit. Just because they’re family doesn’t mean you have to have them in your life.
- YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE IN A RELATIONSHIP TO BE HAPPY. You don’t need anyone’s validation. I see this one the most. You stay with them because you don’t want to be alone, or you’re afraid to be financially independent or blah blah blah blah blah. Once again, toxic. And you don’t need that bullshit. There is nothing wrong with being single. It’s actually fucking exhilarating.
- STEP OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE. Explore this world. There is so much to it. Do something that you could never picture yourself doing. Take a few risks. Make a couple mistakes. You’ll learn. You’ll grow. And you’ll have some kickass stories to tell all of your new friends. Which you will make. By getting rid of negative assholes and stepping out of your comfort zone.
- Pick your battles. This was a big one for me. I was always getting into some debate with someone about something. It was exhausting. I do have the weird off putting personality when it comes to making sure people are informed. I hate when someone talks out of their ass. I hate when they have this crazy opinion formed around other crazy opinions and they don’t care enough to look at the facts. Irritating. DOESN’T MEAN YOU HAVE TO GET INTO IT WITH THEM. I’ve learned this recently, and it’s made my soul a LOT happier. Just let it go. Unless you decide you absolutely can not. Then go for it. But that’s called choosing the battle. Which is “Stop caring about what other people think”s cousin.
- Mind your own business. Yes, you heard me. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS. Stop worrying so much about what other people are doing. Focus on yourself.
- Small minds talk about people. Great minds talk about ideas. I love gossip just as much as the next person. I mainly love it because my life is tremendously drama free, so once in awhile, I like to hear about other people’s. So I get it. It can be entertaining. However, if you notice that you and the people you socialize with daily pretty much only talk about other people, then shame on you. You’re living a very simple and unfulfilling life. Talk about something else. You might surprise yourself.
- Do what makes you happy. Simple. You want something? Plan for it. Work for it. Don’t wait for things to just happen for you. Make things happen for yourself. It’s amazing and it’s much more rewarding. Work hard. Play hard. BE HAPPY.
There are a lot more things that lead to a happier life, but this is a really good start.